NetGalley Badges

25 Book Reviews Frequently Auto-Approved Professional Reader

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Her Own Happiness Book Tour

Today is my tour stop for the Her Own Happiness Book Tour.  Presented by Turn The Page Book Tours.  Her Own Happiness is written by Eden Appiah-Kubi.  This is her second novel.  Her first novel was The Bennet Women.  Her Own Happiness will be released Tuesday, September 5, 2023.

Set against the backdrop of the Covid-19 pandemic, this book starts with Maya.  Life hands her some awful birthday gifts for her 31st birthday.  She finds herself moving back home, while her bestie of 7 years, Ant, is starting his own adventure.  As she is job hunting, Maya finds herself wrapped up in the world of wealthy socialite.  Maya must make her way through this world and all while she and Ant figure out their long standing friendship. 

This was an engaging story.  The character development was quite good and story itself was heartwarming.  I found it to be a later in life, coming-of-age story.  I usually love dual POV stories, but this book started slow for me.  But once I got into it, it was a thoughtful and compassionate story. Ms. Appiah-Kubi touches on several topics such as sexuality, finding oneself, friendship, and mental health; and she looks at them through the lens of the pandemic.  This is first "pandemic" book that I have read. I imagine will we see more of these to come.

While the ending felt a bit rushed and there were a bit too many pop culture references for my liking, this was still a solid read.  

Rating: 💖💖💖.75/5

Her Own Happiness will be released Tuesday, September 5, 2023. This book can be purchased at the author's website: edenawrites.com or visit your local independent bookstore or Bookshop.org.


No comments:

Post a Comment

All about the Witches...

Small Town, Big Magic by Hazel Beck I picked this up because it was romance and had witches in it. S/N I will give anything that has wi...